Three killed and up to 30 injured in horror hotel attack in Kabul

A hotel catering to foreign visitors in Afghanistan’s capital of Kabul was attacked Monday, with three of the assailants killed, and 30 people injured, a Taliban official said. Two foreign residents were injured when they jumped out of windows to escape, said Zabihullah Mujahid, the Taliban government’s spokesman.

Residents reported explosions and gunfire and photos and videos posted on social media showed smoke rising from the building.

The Emergency Hospital in Kabul said in a tweet that there was an explosion and gunfire near a hotel approximately a kilometer away. “So far, we have received 21 casualties – 3 were already dead on arrival.”

Khalid Zadran, the Taliban-appointed spokesman for the Kabul police chief, said the attack lasted several hours. He said a “clean-up” operation was ongoing.

No one immediately claimed responsibility for the attack, but the regional affiliate of the Islamic State group — known as the Islamic State in Khorasan Province and a rival of Afghanistan’s ruling Taliban — has increased its attacks since the Taliban takeover of the country last year.

READ MORE: Chinese and Indian soldiers slug it out hand to hand

Military analyst Zaid Hamid attempting to blame the West as he tweeted a clip of the hotel in flames.

He commented: “A hotel occupied by Chinese in Kabul has been attacked.

“These are American & Indian assets attacking Chinese & Pakistani interests through Afghanistan.

“The Taliban government needs to understand that their weakness is being exploited by the common enemies.”

(More to follow)



Source link

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *